Gov. Steve Sisolak said Friday that more than half of Nevada businesses surveyed Thursday by the state were not complying with a mandatory mask directive, and he threatened stronger action next week if the numbers do not change.
“As I have expressed before, I have growing concerns with our current COVID-19 data trends,” Sisolak said in a release as the disease vectors continue to rise. “If these concerning reports on noncompliance continue, I will not hesitate to take swift and decisive actions next week directed at targeted industries or areas that are experiencing concerning COVID-19 trends and non-compliance.”
Sisolak said that of 204 businesses observed Thursday by the Division of Industrial Relations Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), only 49 percent were in compliance with his mandatory face-covering directive issued last week. The governor said at the time he did not intend to impose criminal penalties — and many law enforcement agencies subsequently said they would not arrest people for not wearing masks — but his statement Friday indicates he may be reconsidering.
“The noncompliance numbers reported by State officials are disappointing and unacceptable a week after the face coverings directive was issued,” Sisolak said in the release.
Read the entire article at The Nevada Independent.
This portion of the article is shared as part of our collaboration with The Nevada Independent. This story was originally published on Friday, July 3.